Although many are anxious about using Google+, the social media site is starting to gain a bit of traction in the SEO world. Some view Google+ as an attempt to slice into that proverbial social pie that Facebook is hoarding. Facebook does have quite a large following, but Google is offering a great deal of marketing applications tied into your profile. As time continues, many are trying to unravel the secrets behind using Google+ to his or her advantage.
1. Profile – Much like Facebook, your profile can become a beacon of marketing for your project. By loading as much information as you can about what it is you are trying to accomplish, you can greatly increase your exposure. By following circles of the community, you can comment and join in conversations about nearly anything you can think of. Readers could “+1″ your comments and possibly visit your profile – which could benefit your website or current project.
2. Authorship – Google Authorship is a way to provide additional information and build a reputation for yourself as being an expert in your field. Over time, articles you write could show your bio on search results regarding the content you are developing. It’s one of the methods Google is trying to implement to reduce the amount of spam and low-quality content from reaching so high in search results.
3. Contributor – One of the aspects of signing up for authorship is the links that are provided in your profile for all to see in regards to the content you write. As long as your profile name and by-line of the article are the same, you are given credit for the content in Google+. This reinforces your reputation in Google as being an expert in your field. It also can assist in reducing plagiarism across the Internet by giving credit where credit is due. As long as this section is visible to the public, these links could serve as a way to entice visitors to your profile to see what the sites are about.
4. Pages – In addition to creating a Google+ profile, you are able to create pages dedicated to other websites and/or businesses. These profiles can act as themselves and any comments, circles, or communities are those of this profile and independent of your own. Links, content, and more can be added and shared with other communities in order to generate interest in the website and/or business. As long as your content is engaging enough to attract attention, your profile could see a bit of action to it.
5. +1′s – Any website you give a “+1″ to on the Internet will show up on the “+1′s” area of your profile. This could serve as shameless marketing if you +1 your own article on a website. This also will share the website you gave a +1 to with everyone in your circles, provided you allow it to be public. Otherwise, you can pick and choose which circles can see what you are giving a +1 to. Essentially, the +1 on a website is only informing everyone you are connected with in Google that you found something of interest and want to share it.
Regardless of what methods you implement in order to market your website, business, or yourself, having a Google+ profile could be greatly beneficial in the long run. As more developments are implemented on this social site, it could gain popularity from the masses. At any rate, it is a free method to help increase your Internet presence and get your name or brand out there for more people to see.
Amanda Carlson, a blogger as well as a former newborn care nurse contributed this post. To stay connected to her previous career and share the knowledge she gained, she began writing for www.newborncare.com. You can reach her at amanda.newborncare @ gmail.com.